Details below of these sources of local support are correct as of Thursday 9th July, but the page is no longer being updated as lockdown eases.
The Grid Alliance – we have several people on hand to call anyone who can find themselves isolated, feeling lonely, or simply wanting a chat with a friendly local. We really are here to help! Please ring Becky on 07734 818540. Read more about how we can help.
Charity donations or collections – if you’re cleaning your home and have items to donate to a charity shop or outlet, ring to check your chosen one is open before going. Don;t leave stuff on the pavements, as it will be removed and destroyed.
Food banks – donations are welcome at these local collection points:
- St Barnabas church office – entrance via Lavenham Road
- 154 Elsenham Street. Posters on front windows
- The Dons Action Group is the AFC Wimbledon football club group organising food parcels for vulnerable people in the area. They are collecting from outside Sainsbury’s, Wimbledon Park Road, 11-5pm. Contact Xavier Wiggin on 07818 432865
- it has a helpline for anyone needing help related to Covid19, 0208 871 6555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More on how the Council can help here.
- This difficult time has put strain on many peoples mental health. If you’re concerned about your mental health and wellbeing, visit our dedicated page which has advice and helpful links.➡️ http://ow.ly/1JEz50A0Yq3
- If you want to volunteer to help others please get in touch with Wandsworth Council who are partnering with key local organisations like Age UK Wandsworth
Local shops – here’s this list of pharmacy opening hours and other local shops.
New arrangements for local places of worship
Churches, mosques and other places of worship are closed. However many are streaming online services and can be contacted online.
- Extracts from their services will be on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/stbarnabasuk and Twitter https://twitter.com/stbarnabasuk
- You can see sermons and readings on its website: https://stbarnabas-southfields.org.uk/
- Vicar Rev Ian Tattum is available on 0208 874 7768 or the St Barnabas office 0208 480 2290 and email: email@example.com
- A trained psychotherapist is on their support team, and can offer experienced counsellors being available. Contact Rev. Ian
- They have lots of loo roll, soap and safety gloves
The Fazl mosque (or London mosque)
- Friday sermons can be viewed online: https://www.mta.tv/brand/friday-sermon
- http://www.allislam.org/ is the main website of the worldwide Ahmadiyya community.
For a list of all places of worship in Wandsworth please go here
St Paul’s Church, Wimbledon Parkside – Are you self-isolating? Do you need any help with practical things while you are stuck indoors? Just need someone to talk to? If you do then our Coronavirus Angels, volunteers from the church and local community, will happily help you out. Just text/call 07540383081 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Metropolitan Police – Does it feel like the situation could get heated or violent very soon? Is someone in immediate danger? Do you need support right away? If so, please call 999 now.You can call 101 for non-emergencies. Otherwise please contact the Southfields Safer Neighbourhood team to report a crime or antisocial behaviour, or contact an officer directly.
Domestic Violence Helpline – National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 200 970 2070 (24 hours)
Mental health support – Samaritans telephone 116 123 (24 hours)
Wandsworth Bereavement Service
Please call their office on 020 7223 3178 to make an initial appointment. You will need to leave a message, and someone will get back to you. Your initial appointment will last about an hour and will probably take place via Zoom. After that, if you would like counselling 12 sessions will be offered taking place at the same time each week, probably online. There is currently a 10-12 week waiting time. Please see Wandsworth Bereavement Service’s website for more information. For anyone seeking help in a crisis, please contact your GP, Samaritans or go to A&E.
Dentists are opening across the area from Monday June 8th. In the meantime, should you need a dentist you should ALWAYS ring 111. They can refer you with a reference number to the nearest available working surgery.
- King’s College Hospital has an emergency helpline. Tel: 0203 299 5608 at 8am, and you will be allocated a timeslot to attend
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital has expanded their dental A&E to 3 floors. There is no phone line, but they offer a first come, first served walk-in service for able, disabled, and special care patients. All children are to be directed to St Thomas’ for walk in, not King’s or Guy’s.
- The Royal London Dental Hospital if offering appointments via phone triage only.
- Adult dental emergencies – call 020 3596 6869 between 9.30–12pm
- Paediatric dental emergencies – call 020 7377 7321 between 9.30–12pm
- Whipps Cross Hospital – call 020 8535 6437 between 9-11am.
Green the Grid
Our great local group is doing a “Time for Nature” project. See https://www.southfieldsgrid.org.uk/green-the-grid/#fp-news-info
Other types of support
- Action for happiness has lots of resources including a Coping Calendar and inspiring talks
- The Sivananda centre in Putney is offering yoga classes, group meditation and satsang online
Click here for details of the Southfields Grid Alliance, and all our work locally during lockdown.